Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Heat!


Is it possible to have too much liquid? I know it is, but I don’t think it’s even remotely possible in this weather.

Oma
Today, I helped dig a ditch for a bathtub; the four Barbary macaques will enjoy a nice cool soak to escape the sun. After that, it was my turn to have cuddle time with Oma. Oma is a rather elderly (about 25 years old) macaque who has spent most of her life around humans and, as a result, has very little idea of how to be a monkey. She loves human contact, so much so that cuddle time is a part of the regular schedule. I was warned not to make eye contact and to let her come to me. I needn’t have been concerned. She came straight over, pulled off my baseball cap, climbed onto my shoulder and spent most of the next hour grooming me. She was fascinated by my hair and also spent time licking my ears, grooming my arms, and then laying back to let me groom her. I didn’t have my camera with me so I promise to take my phonecam with me next time (my new Nikon is way too nice to risk in the enclosure). 

No comments:

Post a Comment